You are invited to join us for a high-level public panel on
Systemic Risk in the Financial Sector: Ten Years after the Global Financial Crisis
May 24th 2018
TMX Broadcast Centre Gallery
The Exchange Tower
130 King Street West
Toronto, ON M5X 1J2
5:30 p.m. – 7:15 p.m.
Followed by a reception
The International Law Research Program (ILRP) at the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) is delighted to host a high-level public panel on the Systemic Risk in the Financial Sector: Ten Years after the Global Financial Crisis.
2018 will mark a decade since the worst year of the global financial crisis, as well as two decades since the Asian Financial Crisis of 1997-1998 and the rescue of Long-Term Capital Management (LTCM). As such, it is an opportune time to examine and critique the ensuing progress in addressing systemic risk—the risk that a financial system failure will have a significant adverse impact on the real economy.
The public panel which is organized by CIGI in collaboration with Duke University, Radboud University, Hong Kong University and the University of Edinburgh, will bring together an interdisciplinary group of some the world’s leading regulatory experts on financial stability and systemic risk. The panelists will bring their wealth of knowledge to examine the effectiveness of the regulatory response to the last financial crisis as well as the implications of the emerging types of systemic risk, such as the cyber risk, for the existing governance and regulation of financial markets. There will be an opportunity for the audience to ask questions and engage with the prominent experts on the above themes.
Space is limited. If you would like to attend, please register here.
The panel will feature prominent experts on financial stability and systemic risk, including:
- Anat Admati, George G.C. Parker Professor of Finance and Economics at the Graduate School of Business, Stanford, and senior fellow at Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research;
- Emilios Avgouleas, Inaugural holder of the International Banking Law and Finance Chair at the University of Edinburgh and the founding director of the Edinburgh LLM in International Banking Law and Finance
- Donato Masciandaro, Professor of Economics, Chair in Economics of Financial Regulation, at Bocconi University and Director of the Bocconi Baffi Centre for Applied Research on International Markets, Banking, Finance and Regulation;
- Roberta Romano, Sterling Professor of Law at Yale Law School and Director of the Yale Law School Center for the Study of Corporate Law;
- Steven Schwarcz, Stanley A. Star Professor of Law & Business at Duke University and founding director of Duke’s Global Financial Markets Center.
If you intend to join us, please register below so that we can track attendance.